Friday, October 20, 2023

GOG INVASION OF ISRAEL

    

GOG AND MAGOG  -  Ezekiel 38:1-16  

14 “Therefore, son of man, prophesy and say to Gog: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: In that day, when my people Israel are living in safety, will you not take notice of it? 15 You will come from your place in the far north, you and many nations with you, all of them riding on horses, a great horde, a mighty army. 16 You will advance against my people Israel like a cloud that covers the land. In days to come, Gog, I will bring you against my land, so that the nations may know me when I am proved holy through you before their eyes.

“Here the prophet saw the final manifestation of antagonism to Jehovah and His people. He saw it gathering itself in terrific force, the mightiest alliance that had ever acted against Israel.” (Morgan) 

“These verses create the impression that Gog is an imperial power with vast military resources.” (Block) They are coming with missiles, deadly bombs and latest Technology equipment today ever invented.  This battle may happen before the beginning of the last seven-year period of human government, before the glorious return of Jesus Christ. It may in some way usher in the dominance of the final world leader and his government. It can happen during the pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation or end of tribulation.

The Invasion of Gog of the land of Magog.

Ezekiel 38:1-6 And the word of the LORD came to me saying, (2) "Son of man, set your face toward Gog of the land of Magog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him (3) and say, 'Thus says the Lord GOD, "Behold, I am against you, O Gog, prince of Rosh, Meshech and Tubal. (4) "I will turn you about and put hooks into your jaws, and I will bring you out, and all your army, horses and horsemen, all of them splendidly attired, a great company with buckler and shield, all of them wielding swords; (5) Persia, Ethiopia and Put with them, all of them with shield and helmet; (6) Gomer with all its troops; Beth-togarmah from the remote parts of the north with all its troops--many peoples with you.

Magog Invasion.

So to sum it up, Ezekiel 38 and 39 speaks of a coming alliance of Russia, Turkey, Iran, Libya, Sudan, Somalia and possibly Germany. Russia and Turkey will descend upon Israel from the north. Iran will come from the east. Libya from the south west. Sudan and Somalia will rush from the south. Israel will be entirely circled by some of the greatest threats and military powers that the world currently knows.

“I will turn you around, put hooks into your jaws, and lead you out: God promised to bring Gog with all his army against Israel.” Whatever Gog’s own motivations for attack and invasion might be, there would be an overriding Divine purpose in this.

Those who see Gog as a leader of Russia have offered many ideas as to why Russia would invade Israel (a desire for a warm water port, a desire to intervene in the Middle East for the sake of oil, a desire for Dead Sea minerals).

So to sum it up, Ezekiel 38 and 39 speaks of a coming alliance of Russia, Turkey, Iran, Libya, Sudan, Somalia and possibly Germany. Russia and Turkey will descend upon Israel from the north. Iran will come from the east. Libya from the south west. Sudan and Somalia will rush from the south. Israel will be entirely circled by some of the greatest threats and military powers that the world currently knows.

Russia, Syria, Turkey and Iran hold high-level talks in Moscow. (May, 2023)

Ezek. 38:17 “‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: You are the one I spoke of in former days by my servants the prophets of Israel. At that time they prophesied for years that I would bring you against them. 18 This is what will happen in that day: When Gog attacks the land of Israel, my hot anger will be aroused, declares the Sovereign Lord. 19 In my zeal and fiery wrath I declare that at that time there shall be a great earthquake in the land of Israel. 20 The fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the beasts of the field, every creature that moves along the ground, and all the people on the face of the earth will tremble at my presence.”

What God Will Do to Gog?

The mountains will be overturned, the cliffs will crumble and every wall will fall to the ground. 21 I will summon a sword against Gog on all my mountains, declares the Sovereign Lord. Every man’s sword will be against his brother. 

22 I will execute judgment on him with plague and bloodshed; I will pour down torrents of rain, hailstones and burning sulphur on him and on his troops and on the many nations with him. 

23 And so I will show my greatness and my holiness, and I will make myself known in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the Lord.’

a. I will call for a sword against Gog: Because Gog was arrogant enough to invade God’s own land (My mountains) God would come against Gog and his allies with military power. One way it would come would be as the allied nations began to attack one another (every man’s sword will be against his brother).

“Gog’s armies and the nations following him would become so confused that they would slay one another in suicidal strife (cf. Judges 7:22; 1 Samuel 14:20; Haggai 2:22; Zechariah 14:13), while the Lord supernaturally destroyed them.” (Alexander)

b. I will bring him to judgment with pestilence and bloodshed: Yahweh would also send disease and death against the attacking armies. This would be a demonstration of His justice.

c. Flooding rain, great hailstones, fire, and brimstone: The instruments of previous judgments would all be sent against Gog and his allies.

Ezek. 38:23 And so I will show my greatness and my holiness, and I will make myself known in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the Lord.

 “The invaders are destroyed by earthquake (cf. Zechariah 14:4-5), by violent distrust of one another (Zechariah 14:13), by pestilence (Zechariah 14:12), and by torrential rain and fire from heaven (Revelation 20:9).” (Wright)

d. I will magnify Myself and sanctify Myself: This overwhelming and obviously divine defeat of Gog and her allies would testify to the whole world of God’s character and power. The world will know that God and Jesus is Lord of all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment